For Dear Pauline*

 


Image thanks to Zoe Adrian of Toronto. Between islands in Georgian Bay.



I have pushed from shore

Like some Indian lore

And the birch craft

Takes over my need.

To be on the Lake

For some reverie’s sake

As the bush fells its amber

Un-treed.

But the moment lifts

As my craft just drifts.

I intend to wait quiet

For stars.

And the North One, my friend.

Til autumn’s chilled end.

And canoe lifted lone

To shed’s bars.

Several months the Lake glassed.

Several months my treks passed.

But the Hope lingers

Long like rich wine.

For the white throat’s

Sweet song 

To May flowers belongs.

And paddling, in aroma of pine.



*In tribute to E. Pauline Johnson of Brant County, our national Indian Princess of Verse and the wilds. Have a look at the collection entitled Flint and Feather. 1917 copyright

Comments

Popular posts from this blog